Preparing for University
Welcome Students and Parents!
This e-corner page will help identify and remind students and parents of the various requirements to help prepare for the university application process over the 4 years of high school. Requirements and suggestions will be given by grade level. You can also read about preparations for various tests that may be needed for university applications.
All students interested in applying to universities abroad should be completing this process from September to December. Please see the bottom of this page for more information.
Different areas have different application procedures, requirements AND dates, SO MAKE SURE TO APPLY EARLY.
For UK Universities, an application/website called UCAS is used.
For Universities/Colleges in the United States “Common App” is a website that SOME universities use AND you will need to complete the SAT requirements.
For Universities in Ontario, Canada “OUAC” is used but in many cases it’s better to apply to the university DIRECTLY.
And there are exceptions and differences for each area! So DO YOUR RESEARCH EARLY!
Basic items that should be taken care of for applications are:
1. Asking for letters of references and following up on receiving them.
2. Completing the TOEFL or IELTS test
3. Filling out the applications for the universities they are interested in applying to and communicating with the university’s admissions center if more details or information are needed by the student to complete the application.
Students applying to universities in the United Kingdom can apply by filling out the UCAS online application form.
Students applying to universities in the United States of America will need to complete the universities SAT requirements.
If applying to universities in Ontario it is advised to apply directly to the university instead of using the OUAC website as there have been many difficulties for previous graduates when applying through the website from Egypt.
Please Note that applying to universities involves completing many steps and each university has their own requirements and expectations of their applicants so students should start the process now and make note of all application deadlines.
Students should be working on achieving high marks in their courses as some universities will use courses from their Grade 11 year for application requirements. Students applying to the universities in the United States of America or public universities in Egypt (Ex. Cairo University) should be taking care of completing any of universities SAT requirements.
At this point, students should have an idea of what courses the program they’re interested in requires of them. Research should be done regarding what faculty they are interested in and what university they want to attend.
Students should be exploring different university faculties and jobs that can be obtained after university to discover what interests them and the different options available to them. Students looking to apply to universities in the United States of America or public universities in Egypt (Ex. Cairo University) should begin the SAT process in January.
At this point Grade 9 students should be working at adapting to the semester system and the pace of the lessons. As many Grade 9 courses are the building blocks for the next few years of schooling it is important that they work at having a great grasp of the material so they can succeed and have all doors open to them in the future.
TOEFL and IELTS are both standardized English tests. Taking one of these tests is a requirement for many students to complete if they are from a country where English is not the official language. The results from these tests are good for 1 year so students should not take their TOEFL or IELTS exam until they are in Grade 12. The results from this test are also required when applying to the American University in Cairo (AUC).
Students can register and take the TOEFL exam through AMIDEAST http://www.amideast.org/egypt. IELTS can be taken through The British Council http://www.britishcouncil.org.eg/en/exam/ielts. Both exams contain a speaking, reading, writing and listening component.
Students who are applying to universities in the United States of America or public universities in Egypt (Ex. Cairo University) should be taking care of completing any of universities SAT requirements. Universities requirements for SAT’s can be found on each universities website.
To begin or complete the process in Egypt students can register themselves on the College Board website https://www.collegeboard.org/ and then applying for the testing dates through the website or through AMIDEAST in Egypt http://www.amideast.org/egypt. Remember that SAT spots fill up incredible quickly in Egypt and require you to apply for spots months in advance.
Please note when registering on the College Board website your name must be written exactly as it appears in your passport and the uploaded picture should be passport style with your faces and eyes visible.
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Shery Takawy (Guidance Counselor)
Julie Alfred (Secondary School Vice Principal)
University Application Information
General Admission Requirements for Private and Public Egyptian Universities
- Completed application form for the universities you are interested in.
- Official final High School transcript (Stamped)
- Official Thanaweya Amma Diploma (and Ibtidaeya and Edadeya)
- A copy of the student’s Grade 1 report card.
- Copies of their Grade 9 to 12 report cards for all Egyptian Universities except AUC
- A letter from the student’s previous school stating the years they were enrolled there.
- “Istamara 2 Gond.” (Boys – Military Exemption)
- Computerized Birth Certificate
- Copy of national ID or valid Passport (Egyptians) – RENEW YOUR PASSPORT ASAP IF NECESSARY
- Copy of valid passport (non-Egyptians) – RENEW YOUR PASSPORT ASAP IF NECESSARY (LET US KNOW IF YOUR NAME IS CHANGED)
- IELTS (with all categories at a 6.5+)
- Min.24 passport size photos
- MINIMUM 3 References/Reference Letters/E-mail addresses of references
- Art Portfolio for Fine Arts, Graphic Arts, Mass Communications, architecture, etc
- A letter that contains the student’s name and the academic years they have been in attendance at Heritage International School. (Tasalsol Derasy)
- The letters should total a minimum of 12 academic school years
- Medical Report
– Requires a Manitoba Transcript * – You will pick it up from the school when it arrives and will take it to AUC if you
have applied there.
– Predicted Deadline – Fall 2017 – Around Mid-March (for Early acceptance) End of June is the FINAL Deadline.
Get your application in as EARLY AS POSSIBLE.
UNIVERSITIES THAT REQUIRE THE HERITAGE TRANSCRIPT
– Heritage Transcript **– Issued by the school and stamped from Canada and Egypt, also arrives approximately at the END OF JULY.
This transcript fulfills the course titles as per the Ministry of Education in Egypt.
– Predicted deadline – Fall 2017 – Around Mid-March (for Early acceptance)
- End of June is the FINAL Deadline
– GUC Admission Evaluation Exam
– Canadian Diploma must be Authenticated by the Canadian Embassy and stamped by the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Egyptian Ministry of Higher Education.
Other universities in this category: BUE, MIU, Nile University, etc.
UNIVERSITIES THAT REQUIRE A MANITOBA TRANSCRIPT
General Admission Requirements for universities abroad
– Manitoba Transcript
– IELTS (with all categories at a 6+)
– Completed Application
– MINIMUM 3 References/Reference Letters/E-mail addresses of references
– Scanned copy OR original copy of Canadian Diploma
– Valid passport – RENEW ASAP IF NECESSARY (LET US KNOW IF YOUR NAME IS CHANGED)
– Art Portfolio for Fine Arts, Graphic Arts, Mass Communications, architecture, etc.
* American Universities
– Commonapp.org or through individual university websites, depending on which university.
– SATs will be required/SAT II – MIGHT be required depending on the program.
* OUAC – Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (For applying to Ontario Universities)
– Applications for Ontario are done through ouac.on.ca
– Start filling out applications NOW.
– ** Deadline is around MID-JANUARY
* UCAS – UK Centre for Application Services – MUST TAKE “UKVI IELTS”
– Start filling out applications NOW.
– UCAS Undergraduate Apply is now open for 2017 entry. You can start your application now, but completed applications cannot be submitted until 6 September 2016.
– ** Deadline is around MID-JANUARY (to complete and application)
– CHECK this link to see the steps for getting a student visa: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/international-and-eu-students/visas-immigration-and-english
* Other European Universities
– Research the country and university that you are interested in.
– Find “ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS” on the university website see what they are asking for
– E-mail the university; don’t be afraid to ask questions.
** Manitoba Transcript – This is issued by the Ministry of Education in Manitoba. This will be mailed from Manitoba and will be in a sealed envelope. DO NOT OPEN IT. You will be asked if you want to send one to a university abroad, or if you want both of them to come to the school in the summer when they arrive. (END OF JULY) – You will take it to AUC if you have applied there.For universities abroad – You might be asked to mail it, or scan and e-mail it, depending on the university. FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS.
** Heritage Transcript – Issued by the school and stamped from Canada and Egypt, also arrives approximately at the END OF JULY. This transcript fulfills the course titles as per the Ministry of Education in Egypt.