For High School Seniors Preparing for University.
Welcome Students and Parents!
This page will help identify and remind students and parents of the various requirements to help prepare for the university application process over the 4 years of high school. Requirements and suggestions will be given by grade level. You can also read about preparations for various tests that may be needed for university applications.
All students interested in applying to universities abroad should be completing this process from September to December. Different countries/universities have different application procedures, requirements, and deadlines.
MAKE SURE TO APPLY EARLY.
- Every student must sign up for and complete the IELTS test before January.
- Each student must request two reference letters from teachers that are necessary for applications. Each student must complete a “Brag Sheet” to give to teachers when requesting reference letters.
- Students must fill in the online applications for universities they are interested in applying to. Communicate with your counsellor or with the university’s admissions centre if more detail or information is needed by the student to complete the application.
Please note that applying to universities involves completing many steps and each university has their own requirements and expectations, therefore, students should start the process as early as possible and make note of all application deadlines.
Make an appointment with your counsellor if you have any questions.
- Grade 11 students should be working on achieving high marks in their courses as most universities will use courses from their Grade 11 year for application requirements.
- Students applying to universities in the United States should prepare to complete the necessary ACT requirements.
- Students should have an idea of the required courses needed for their desired programs.
- Research should be done regarding which faculty they are interested in and which university they want to attend.
- Make an appointment with your counsellor to discuss your choices.
Students should be exploring different university faculties and jobs that can be obtained after university to discover what interests them and the different options available to them. Students looking to apply to universities in the United States of America or public universities in Egypt (Ex. Cairo University) should begin the SAT process in January.
At this point Grade 9 students should be working at adapting to the semester system and the pace of the lessons. As many Grade 9 courses are the building blocks for the next few years of schooling it is important that they work at having a great grasp of the material so they can succeed and have all doors open to them in the future.
TOEFL and IELTS are both standardized English tests. Taking one of these tests is a requirement for many students to complete if they are from a country where English is not the official language. The results from these tests are good for 1 year so students should not take their TOEFL or IELTS exam until they are in Grade 12. The results from this test are also required when applying to the American University in Cairo (AUC).
Students can register and take the TOEFL exam through AMIDEAST http://www.amideast.org/egypt. IELTS can be taken through The British Council http://www.britishcouncil.org.eg/en/exam/ielts. Both exams contain a speaking, reading, writing and listening component.
Students who are applying to universities in the United States of America or public universities in Egypt (Ex. Cairo University) should be taking care of completing any of universities SAT requirements. Universities requirements for SAT’s can be found on each universities website.
To begin or complete the process in Egypt students can register themselves on the College Board website https://www.collegeboard.org/ and then applying for the testing dates through the website or through AMIDEAST in Egypt http://www.amideast.org/egypt. Remember that SAT spots fill up incredible quickly in Egypt and require you to apply for spots months in advance.
Please note when registering on the College Board website your name must be written exactly as it appears in your passport and the uploaded picture should be passport style with your faces and eyes visible.UNIVERSITY GENERAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Completed application form for the universities you are interested in.
- Official Final High School Transcript (Stamped).
- Official Thanaweya Amma Diploma (and Ibtidaiyah and Edadeya).
- “Tasalsol Derasy” A letter from all schools attended, including. Heritage International School to show that you have attended 12 years of school.
- “Istamara 2 Gond” (Boys – Military Exemption).
- Computerized Birth Certificate.
- Copy of National ID or Valid Passport (Egyptians)- RENEW YOUR PASSPORT ASAP IF NECESSARY.
- Copy of Valid Passport (non-Egyptians) – RENEW YOUR PASSPORT ASAP IF NECESSARY (LET US KNOW IF YOUR NAME IS CHANGED).
- IELTS (with all categories at a 6.0+).
- 24 Passport Size Photos (Minimum).
- 2 Reference Letters (Minimum).
- A Portfolio of Work may be required for Fine Arts, Graphic Arts, Mass Communications, Architecture, etc.
APPLYING TO UNIVERSITIES IN EGYPT:
The American University in Cairo (AUC):
- Deadline for applications is March 1st.
- Complete online application on university website as soon as it is open.
- IELTS must be completed prior to deadline.
- Submit necessary documents.
- Manitoba Transcript: must be submitted after signing and stamping from necessary parties. The Manitoba Transcript arrives in late August/early September.
Get your application in as EARLY AS POSSIBLE.
Private Egyptian Universities:
- Predicted deadline – Fall – Around Mid-March (for Early acceptance).
- Complete online application .
- IELTS must be completed prior to deadline.
- Complete exam or evaluation that university may require.
- Heritage Transcript: issued by the school and stamped from Canada and Egypt.
The Heritage Transcript arrives at the end of August/early September.
It fulfills the course titles as per the Ministry of Education in Egypt.
Get your application in AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE.
APPLYING TO UNIVERSITIES ABROAD:
- Find “ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS” on the university website to see the specific requirements that are necessary.
Different countries/universities have different application procedures. For example:
- UK Universities, a website called “UCAS” is used to apply.
- For Universities/Colleges in the United States “Commonapp.org” is a website that SOME universities use AND you may need to complete the ACT requirements.
- For Universities in Ontario, Canada “OUAC.ON.CA” is used but in many cases it is better to apply to the university DIRECTLY.
Also, there are exceptions and differences for each area!
DO YOUR RESEARCH EARLY!
- E-mail the university; don’t be afraid to ask questions.
- Make an appointment with your counsellor.
INFORMATION ON TRANSCRIPTS:
** Manitoba Transcript: this is issued by the Ministry of Education in Manitoba. This arrives LATE AUGUST/EARLY SEPTEMBER and will be mailed from Manitoba in a sealed envelope. DO NOT OPEN IT.
You will be asked if you want to send one to a university abroad, or if you want both of them to come to the school in the summer when they arrive (END OF AUGUST/EARLY SEPTEMBER).
– You will take it to AUC if you have applied there.
– For universities abroad: You might be asked to mail it, or scan and email it, depending on the university. FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS.
** Heritage Transcript: issued by the school and stamped from Canada and Egypt, also arrives approximately at the END OF AUGUST/EARLY SEPTEMBER. This transcript fulfills the course titles as per the Ministry of Education in Egypt.